| Since we began
offering essential telephone service to greater Roosevelt
County in 1951, we’ve focused on providing cutting
edge technology to everyone in our service area. By maintaining
advances in telecommunications, our subscribers can enjoy
the benefits of a rural lifestyle while keeping in touch
with the world.
Our heritage is deeply rooted in member-owned philosophy.
We’re still locally owned and operated and we
take pride in taking an active role in the success
of our community. The Co-op’s operations are
overseen by a nine member board, with each section
of the serving area represented. The board meets once
a month to set policies.
Over the years, Yucca Telecom has grown from a simple
local phone provider to a full-service company that
also offers voice mail, cellular phone service, long
distance, and high-speed Internet access. Technology
has changed the way many of our services are brought
to you, but it hasn’t changed our commitment
to provide quality service at all times and personal
help when you need it.
1949 Mr. W. G. Vinzant, county agent,
acted as temporary chairman of a meeting explaining
interest in organizing a co-op. Mr. Jay Morgan, an
attorney, explained that President Harry Truman signed
bill H.R. 2960 on October 28, 1949 authorizing the
approval of low interest loans for providing telephones
where large telephone companies would not go. It was
at this meeting that the Roosevelt County Rural Telephone
Cooperative (RCRTC) was formed. The following directors
were elected: Ben McAlister, George Ross, Mayo Varnell,
Lewis Cooper, A.A. Killion, C.G. Norton, and Sharbutt
Owens, with Ben McAlister elected as President.
May 4, 1951 RCRTC was incorporated
and began under joint management with Roosevelt County
Electric Cooperative with a separate Board of Directors.
August 29, 1951 A contract was signed
for a $486,000 loan from the Rural Electrification
Administration. The contract called for exchanges at
Dora and Elida and for construction of four unattended
dial-type central offices. This would result in 883.2
miles of line to serve 1178 rural subscribers. It was
required that the local co-op have $36,999 capital
constituting of 900 $5.00 memberships and equities
of $45 from 700 of the 900 members. The requirement
1970s RCRTC converted to all
private lines and 95% of the cable was buried (as opposed
to aerial). In 1979 the Telephone Cooperative separated
from the Electric Cooperative.
1980s On January 1, 1983 RCRTC
purchased Melrose exchange from Continental Telephone
Company and proceeded to bury cable and install a digital
switch in Melrose and Arch exchanges. In 1989 all exchanges
were upgraded and converted to digital.
1990s RCRTC purchased Texico Exchange
from U.S. West in 1996.
RCRTC formed a subsidiary, Yucca Communications, in order to compete against Qwest to offer services in Portales.
In June 2005, Roosevelt County Rural Telephone Cooperative
and Yucca Communications introduced a new name – Yucca
Telecom – that represents all services provided
by, and customers served by, both companies.
Today the Yucca Telecom serves 2216 access lines more
than 1447 miles of buried cable that encompasses eight
exchanges. The service area covers 3400 square miles
in Roosevelt, Curry, DeBaca, Chaves and Lea Counties.